Holes by Louis Sachar | Teen Ink

Holes by Louis Sachar

By BryceK BRONZE, PHX, Arizona
BryceK BRONZE, PHX, Arizona

Holes by Louis Sachar, is the story of Stanley Yelnats, a meek, hopelessly, unlucky young boy. His bad luck, we learn, dates back to a curse laid upon his “no-good-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather.”
The latest evidence of this occurs when a pair of sneakers belonging to a famous basketball player falls from the sky. Stanley is blamed for stealing the shoes from a local homeless shelter. Then, Stanley is given the choice between jail and Camp Green Lake. Camp Green Lake isn’t exactly a camp it is more of a detention camp were troubled kids go. There is no lake. And nothing is green for miles around. Warden and her helpmates Mr. Sir and Mr. Pendanski make the boys dig one five-foot by five-foot hole every day. They say it’s to so called “build character”, but Stanley senses something is up about that. The book tells about the camp, Stanley’s history, his friendship with a quiet boy nicknamed Zero, a legendary female bank robber named Kissin Kate Barlow and a mess of very creepy yellow lizards, without anything feeling forced.
If you have not read the book, you have probably seen the 2003 movie. Stanley is played by Shia LaBeouf and he was the perfect person to cast for that part. In the movie he portrayed Stanley perfectly by showing much emotion. Sigourney Weaver of the Alien movies, and also has been in Avatar. In the movie Holes she plays a cruel warden that likes to boss everyone around. She always has an angry tone with the kids and even the other camp workers. The movie is much the same as the book there are only a few differences in the setting and what actors are saying
All the pieces of the story fit together so easily. So easily, that when it’s finished, you realize that it couldn’t have ended any other way then it did.