Messenger by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

Messenger by Lois Lowry

December 22, 2011
By NoobixCube SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
NoobixCube SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Lois Lowry’s book Messenger is a stupefying, astonishing book that will make you want to read it all over again. The third book of the breathtaking trilogy that started with the Giver, leads on to the life of Matty, the young boy who followed Jonas into Village. There he starts a new life at Village as the messenger. After much attempt to control the population in Village, Matty is sent out by Leader to exhort any other people from entering. Seer, a blind man known for his special sight, hears about the plan and is worried about his daughter, Kira, and how she would not be able to enter if the gate closes now. Matty then has to make a treacherous journey that may be his last time through Forest.

"Look." Kira pointed to the skirt of her dress, to show him. The blue fabric, discolored now, was in shreds. "The branches seem to reach for me," she said. "They're like knives. They cut my clothes"-she examined the ruined dress, with its long ragged tears-"but they don't quite reach my flesh. It's as if they're waiting. Teasing me." This part of the book gave me a chilling sensation.

There are several reasons why I enjoy this book. One is the imaginativeness about it. How some people have unique gifts that are all different. The romance in the book is childish, but still relatable. The way Matty feels about Jean, he loves her yet barely knows her. The suspense of what is going to happen next, when you cannot put the book down because you want to know what’s next. All of the things are in this one book, and the way it’s written you will never be bored with it.