boost by Kathy mackel | Teen Ink

boost by Kathy mackel

By micayla schlaff BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
micayla schlaff BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Mackel , Kathy. Boost. New York: Penguin Group, 2008. 248.

“You’re wasted at center and wasted even worse on the bench. That wouldn’t happen on my team.” (Mackel 1). This is a quote from the book Boost by Kathy Mackel. It was the best book ever. I truly loved it! It kept me wanting to read more.

Basketball was the main thing that savvy every wanted to do. She cared about her family too. She had her eye on this one guy named Marc that shut her down. Marc was tall with brown hair that whipped back and forth. Marc played basketball too. He was very good. Gonzo was Savvy’s friend. They played basketball together. She was a starter on the basketball team sometimes. She was very short and had brown hair and brown eyes. Same as Savvy. Callie was her sister. She had a bad temper. She had a crush on Marc and so did Savvy. The basketball court was the setting and so was the farm. The pills had to do a lot with the conflict.

I loved this book so much. It made me want to read more and more everyday. The characters were very funny and Savvy reminded me of myself. I play basketball too and this taught me a lot. I really enjoyed that she made the older team. It really kept the book going by the girls not liking her and making a lot of conflict. My favorite part in the book was when they found the pills in her bag because it made the story very interesting.

My favorite part in this book was when they had the party at Savvy’s barn house. Also, I loved the beginning of the book where it started off with her aunt falling and having her take more responsibility. Also, that her and her sister were fighting over a boy. Another reason that I like this book is because it has so many details and it is like a real story. The characters remind me of some of my friends. This book makes me feel like my life sometimes.

Overall, this book was one of my favorites. I love basketball and this made me want to read more and more everyday. Hope that this author makes more of these types of books! Thanks for reading this!