Boost by Kathy Mackel | Teen Ink

Boost by Kathy Mackel

December 21, 2011
By Kathryn Tewksbury BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Kathryn Tewksbury BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Mackel, Kathy Boost New York: Penguin Group, 2008. 248



“Don’t listen to her. She was a liar back then and she’s still lying.” (mackel,172.) This is a line from the book Boost by Kathy Mackel. Boost was one of my favorite books. I really enjoyed it always wanting to read more. 

All Savvy wanted to do was play basketball. She was always with a ball on and off the court. She played for a 18U team when she was 13 and met a new friend named Gonzo who also played. They were the two youngest players and not many people on there team liked them because they were so good. Savvy has a crush on this boy Marc who is her sister Callie’s boyfriend. They live in a ranch house with there great aunt who has a bad foot because she fell while trying to protect her sheep that are on her farm. The problem is, Savvy has had drugs found in her bag and people are mad.

I found this book totally believable. People have probably found pills in sports players bags before. It easily sucked me right in from the first sentence. The first line in the book was “I stood at the free throw line, all eyes on me.” (Mackel,1) that first sentence just made me keep reading. Whenever we had to stop reading it was very hard to resist the temptation to keep going. There was nothing that this author did that i didn’t like. This had to be one of the best books ever written. The narrator in this story was Savvy the main character. I liked that because her perspective is what made the book so good, for instance “You beat me Hotshot, and I’ll give you a kiss.” (125) this was part of the book when Savvy was playing basketball with her crush Marc. I loved the nickname he had for her. I thought it was cute. If it was from someone telling the story it might not have been so good.

I really loved this book. I think everyone should read this. Especially if you want to know what happens with the pills and if there hers or if someone stuck them in her bag. All these words are coming from someone who hates reading very much and would do anything to get out of it. Once again I would like to say that this is the best book ever! So I would suggest that anyone should read this book and that if you play sports you should watch out because you don’t want this to happen to you!