Bullyville by Francine Prose | Teen Ink

Bullyville by Francine Prose

December 21, 2011
By Kyle Schrock BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Kyle Schrock BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Prose, Francine.  Bullyville.  New York: HarperCollins Publisher, 2007.  260 Pages.

Have you ever wanted to read a book that you will never put down?  Well, this is that book.  Bullyville By Francine Prose is a great novel.  This is the best book I’ve ever read!

The main character, Bart Rangely’s, dad dies on 9/11 attack in new york. he was in the building where the plane hit.  His mom works there but Bart said he was not feeling good so his mom stayed home.  He was called ‘Miracle Boy’.  He didn’t quite think it was a ‘miracle’ his dad died why would that be a miracle?  Bart goes to a school full of bullies, he gets shoved in lockers, made fun of, threatened, and receives text messages from a random person saying that it’s his dad.  Bart gets really upset and decides to wreck an Esclade.  He gets in trouble and has to go to a hospital for a community service like thing.  He meets a few people and there’s a girl who has a disease and then the book takes an unexpected twist.

The thing that i liked the most about this book is you never know what’s going to happen next.  Bullyville is in the point of view of Bart(main character).  Bart gets bullied a lot “...stuffing the shrunk-down version of me into my locker,”(Prose 115). Tyro did that he is the main bully. So, once again this book is by far the best book I ever read.  I would definitely re-read this.  I recommend this book to everyone.  I guarantee you that you will love this book.