The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

December 21, 2011
By ASikora15 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
ASikora15 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Collins, Suzanne, The Hunger Games . New York: Scholastic, 2008. 374 pages. I’ll put it down at the end of this chapter. Then I’ll go eat, and then I’ll read it again. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins takes you on an incredible journey to a world unlike any other. It grabs your attention from the beginning to the end, and you won’t be able to put it down! I chose to skip watching some of my favorite shows, and at lunch, all I did was read. It’s just that good!

Suzanne Collins bases her novel on a philosophy that everyone should follow: Never Give up. This book says that right from the beginning, when Katniss Everdeen’s life is dramatically changed by one thing: The Hunger Games. Katniss has many stories to tell on how she prepared for these Games, but the Games themselves is what makes you turn the pages. Beware of many surprises, and tears, to follow.

Collins’ work that she has done with this book is quite brilliant. I can’t think of another author that goes into as much detail as she has. This novel is never too dull, and the words she uses are perfect for our age. One part of this book that I thought she did really well on was when Katniss’ sister, Prim, gets called up to the podium so she can participate as a tribute in the games: “Effie Trinket crosses back to the podium, smooths the slip of paper, and reads out the name in a clear voice. It’s not me. It’s Primrose Everdeen.” (Collins, 20) I feel that the emotion she had Katniss feeling was very powerful, because of previous thoughts from her about her sister. I thought it was perfect. And I know we can all connect with her in this way. Collins’ has done many of these things with her writing, and so much more. She has made an idea of an annual games where children over twelve fight to the death, and made it so much more real than we could have ever imagined. She is truly an amazing author.

The Hunger Games unlocks many secrets, defines true love, and shows true emotions. I admire Collins for being able to write a story that has such a thrilling conflict, but can still show all these things. I also can’t believe how much I can relate to these characters, even though it’s set in a future time. For example, Katniss is just like any other girl. She grieves over losses, tries her hardest, and never gives up. She loves her family and will do anything for them, even when it’s hard. I find comfort in reading about her because of her interesting story.

This book is an absolute sensation. You won’t be able to put it down! I find myself wishing that I had a chance to see what their country looked like, and to get a glimpse of what these people have to live with. All I know is that even through their times of sadness, these characters have the ability to be the light that fills each other’s darkness.