Nightshade by Andrea Cremer | Teen Ink

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

By EVENTINGFORLIFE BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
EVENTINGFORLIFE BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

"I'm probably in the sky, flying with the fishes; Or maybe in the sea, swimming with the pigeons. See my world is different."

Cremer, Andrea. Nightshade. New York :Penguin Group, 2011. 480 pages.

I used to love the Twilight Series, but once I read Nightshade and Wolvesbane, I banished Twilight to the book shelves. I fell in love with Nightshade with the first page. The first page hooks you, most authors can't pull off jumping straight into the story, but Andrea Cremer does it, amazingly. You will be able to read Nightshade many times, and still enjoy it.
Calla Tor can freely move between her wolf form and her human form, Andrea Cremer calls it; a Guardian. The Keepers make all the decision, who will marry who, who guards where, and so on. When Calla is patrolling the Nightshade side of the mountain, and she runs into a problem. Shay, a human, is being attacked by a bear, even though Calla knows she shouldn't save the human (after all humans were nothing in the Guardians' eyes) she does anyways. She thought she would never see the human boy again. But, when Shay shows up at her school, everything turns to chaos. With the upcoming marriage of Calla, the offspring of the Nightshade alphas, to Ren, the offspring of the Bane alphas, approaching quickly Calla has to make a decision. Does she want to be with Shay? Or follow her path, set up for her by the Keepers, and form the new pack with Ren? Calla is torn between choosing one over the other. They are both a part in her life! You’ll have to read the book, to see who she chooses.
I really like the book because I like how you have to guess about what happens, but doesn't have nonsense chapters... Everything falls into place perfectly. The plot is very well set up, and isn't impossible to follow. Although I did read one part multiple times, and still didn't get it, but after I read the book a second time I figured it out. I would  recommend this book to my friends (I already have!). I really enjoy the first page, it gives you the scene when Calla meets Shay, this is one of my favorite parts in the book because, BAM! you’re right into the action of the book. “The bear’s roar filled my ears. Its hot breath assaulted my nostrils, fueling my bloodlust. Behind me I could hear the boy’s ragged gasp. The desperate sound made my nails dig into the earth. I snarled at the larger predator again, daring it to try to get past me.What the hell am I doing?
I risked a glance at the boy and my pulse raced. His right hand pressed against the gashes in his thigh. Blood surged between his fingers, darkening his jeans until they looked streaked by black paint. Slashes in his shirt barely covered the red lacerations that marred his chest. A growl rose in my throat.” (Cremer, Andrea. pg 1.) I do believe that some books are not for everyone, because everyone likes different things, but I think everyone will like or even love this book. It grabs your attention, and is just a phenomenal book.

I really enjoyed reading this book. I've read Nightshade and Wolvesbane two, to three times.