The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Collins, Suzanne. The Hunger Games.  New York, NY, 2008. 374 Pages

Once I’m on my feet, I realize escape might not be so simple. Panic begins to set in. I can’t stay here. Flight is essential. But I can’t let my fear show. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is one of the best books I have ever read. It catches your interest at the first page.
The Hunger Games is about a girl named Katniss Everdeen living in future North America, in a civilization named Panem, where the government has almost complete control over the districts. They keep control by hosting an annual televised event called the Hunger Games where 2 children, 18-12 years old from each of the 12 districts go against one another in a fight to the death. When Katniss’ little sister gets picked to go, she steps in and takes her spot to save her life. We follow Katniss throughout the games as she tries to survive to be the champion of the Hunger Games. Will she survive to win?

There were many things about this book that I liked. First, I liked Collins’ style of writing. The book completely sucked me in and I found myself wondering what would happen next. I also liked the point of view that Collins wrote the book. Even though it is in first person, Collins did a great job of showing all the detail in the book. ‘The soft sound of rain drumming on the roof of our house gently pulls me towards consciousness.’  (Collins 290).
Also, I liked the characters in the book. Katniss had a very odd personality, and many of the other minor characters had various personalities from kind and generous to mean-spirited and dark. Katniss had a great love for her close friends and family members; for example how she saved her younger sister, Primrose from going to the Games. ‘Effie Trinket crosses back to the podium, smoothes the slip of paper, and reads out the name in a clear voice. And its not me. It’s Primrose Everdeen... “I volunteer!” I gasp. “I volunteer as tribute!”’ (Collins 21-22). This shows that she would not let her sister go tot eh games and die.  Instead she risked her own life.

The Hunger Games is a very well written, exciting book that will hook you form the first page and I think it is a great book. I would recommend this book to anybody.