The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton | Teen Ink

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

By Kamryn DePompolo BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Kamryn DePompolo BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

‘“It ain’t fair that we have all the rough breaks!”’ Ponyboy the main character of The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton says, as he thought about his friends and all the problems they have. This novel takes place in Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1965. Two greasers, Ponyboy Curtis, and his best friend Johnny Cade, come across many encounters with the Socs, (short for socials). The best friends have to run and hide after some drunk Socs almost kill them. But things go wrong at the place they are staying.

I would recommend this book to teenagers as well as adults. There are gangs, and some violence, but overall it’s an amazing book and well worth reading. S.E. Hinton keeps you interested and always has you asking yourself, “What’s going to happen next?” The conflicts are person vs. person, in this case greasers vs. Socs. Also person vs. society. The protagonist are the greasers, the antagonists are the Socs. The rivalries between them are intense and keep you engaged. I love this book and I hope you will, too.