Drums, Girls, And Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick | Teen Ink

Drums, Girls, And Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick

By Seth Jaimez BRONZE, Dexter, MI, Michigan
Seth Jaimez BRONZE, Dexter, MI, Michigan

Steven Alper, the main character in Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie, was living the average life of a young teenager. Steven is a talented 13-year old who loves to play the drums. He was doing fine in school, being a good friend and brother until the “accident” happened. It was a morning when Steven was pounding on his drums when Jeffrey, or Jeffy, Steven’s little brother, wanted some “moatmeal”. Steven was a nice brother and made Jeffy some oatmeal. Steven set Jeffy up on a stool, and just when Steven wasn’t looking, Jeffy fell and banged his nose on a corner. Jeffy’s life took the turn for the worst. After a severe nose bleed, Jeffy took a long trip to the emergency room. Steven and his were left alone at home, to worry and contemplate what has happened to Jeffy. Worrying literally tore them apart. Once Jeffy returned, the bad news spilled. Jeffy had been diagnosed with a cancerous condition called leukemia. This moment will change the Alper family forever. How will Steven and the parents deal with the sick boy? You will have to read the book to find what Steven goes through.

This book was a great novel. It taught me the importance of always being there for someone, especially family members. Aside from teaching me life lessons, it also taught me how to be a good reader a writer. I would definitely recommend this book, preferably to teen boys, because it is an easy and fun read, and it puts you in the extraordinary life of a teen boy with a conflict that would change a life forever.