Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson | Teen Ink

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

By Abby Coogan BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Abby Coogan BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

“...body found in a motel room alone...”

Wintergirls, by Laurie Halse Anderson, takes place in present day New Hampshire and is about two teenage girls with anorexia. Cassie, one of the girls, dies before the book even starts. Lia hasn’t talked to her for months anyways. They used to be best friends. Lia is convinced that she must be smaller, to loose more, to stay strong, and not eat. She has been to rehab a few times. She was doing better. Once she hears of her old friends death she is triggered. NO one can help her now. She is a wintergirl, stronger then ever, so she thinks... The books theme is hope. Hope that in the end Lia realizes what she is doing is wrong, and instead of making her strong it is slowly killing her from the inside out.

The book was amazing! There was never a moment I wanted to put it down or skip a page. Although it is not am action book, what takes place is truly action packed. The way that the author described how the character, Lia, is feeling and how she has convinced herself that she does not need to eat, “Because I don’t need a muffin (410), I don’t want an orange (75) or toast (87), and waffles (180) make me gag,” makes your heart throb for a happy ending that is farther away than you can imagine. I would recommend this book to more mature readers, who are not afraid to cry.