Divergent by Veronica Roth This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

When I first heard of Divergent by Veronica Roth (and who hasn't? It's a seriously hyped-up book), I didn't think I would like it. I mean, this is Roth's first book, she wrote it in her twenties (which is not too far from 15 – and anything I write should not and will not be hyped by the general public), and it's a dystopian story. Don't get me wrong, I like dystopian novels (Hunger Games, anyone?), but they are being churned out by the second. At some point, you get sick of it. But in this case I was wrong.

The story is set in dystopian Chicago, where society has been split into five factions. In each one, the residents are focused on cultivating one virtue. Candor's is honesty, Abnegation's is selflessness, Dauntless's is bravery, Amity's is being peaceful, and Erudite's is intelligence. On a certain day each year, the 16-year-olds take an aptitude test to see which faction they're best suited for. Then they all choose a faction to live in for the rest of their lives, be it the one their family is in or a different one entirely. Did I mention that there's also a saying that goes “Faction before blood”?

Our main character is Beatrice Prior, who renames herself Tris. Her family is in Abnegation (otherwise known as Stiffs). Tris can't stand being in Abnegation, and I can't really blame her. Because of Abnegation's custom to live a plain life, the poor girl doesn't know what a hamburger is! When she takes the aptitude test (with unexpected results), Tris has to make a tough decision that could change her whole life.

Having finished the book, I can confidently say that Veronica Roth is a talented author. The book is 500 pages, and my initial thought was, Oh boy, this is going to be a long read. But it's such an engrossing story I couldn't put it down.

Tris is a great character. She's devoted enough to her family to consider staying in a faction that she really doesn't want to be in. But she has real flaws, like her stubbornness and occasional selfishness, that have serious consequences. Despite this, Tris is easy to like. She doesn't let fear get the best of her, and she doesn't let jerks push her around.

In other words, you have to read this book. If not because I recommend it, then because there's a movie coming out. And if you don't read the book, you can't compare it to the movie and go on about how the movie left out so many important details, can you? Furthermore, if you think I'm overreacting and that this book is going to stink because it's insanely hyped up, then prove me wrong. Go on, read it! You know you want to.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

Midnight5765This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 6 at 9:13 pm:
You're completely right- I do want too! Science fiction and dystopias are my favorite (ever read the Gone series by Micheal Grant?) Sadly every library I go to has it held several times