Last December by Matt Beam | Teen Ink

Last December by Matt Beam

By MoffSchroff BRONZE, El Dorado, Kansas
MoffSchroff BRONZE, El Dorado, Kansas

The Story From Last December

Last December, is a book about the drama of a fatherless teenage boy who and suicide. Written by Matt Beam, the book was meant for all teenagers to enjoy and learn from. Taking place in a average town, the book focuses on one character and the drama of his life.

From the beginning of the book, it was clearly seen as a letter. The suicide letter, to be more precise, was written by the protagonist, Steven, to his unborn baby sister, Sam. It goes through the average thoughts of today’s teens, even mentioning his friends. One friend, Bryon, brought up the supposed meaningless life and introducing “god with a small g”, that inspired the suicide. He also brought up “Sucking the Big One” meaning that he believes that his life sucks.

As mentioned before, the book is written in the form of a letter. The dialogue, however, was more as if teenage boy had written it, excluding the unforgiving grammar. Far beyond anything I have read.

Over all I thought the book was a wonderful example of what some teens today, and I find it can be seen as a learning experience. I believe many teens would benefit from reading the story. The writer, Matt Beam, should be incessantly praised for his work. I would rate the book Last December at four out of five stars.
I have only recently come into the splendor and delight of writing. But I feel at home when writing. I am only a sophomore, who is still naïve, but someday I hope to become a successful writer. Being a sophomore, I attend El Dorado High School. Besides writing, I enjoy building, small and big, and other hands on activities.