Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher | Teen Ink

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

By jshnowski SILVER, Destrehan, Louisiana
jshnowski SILVER, Destrehan, Louisiana

Thirteen Reasons Why written by Jay Asher is a very realistic story of a young teenage girl. She has been hurt by rumors and drama since the she received her first kiss. The boy had gone to school shortly after telling everyone that she let him do more than kiss her. Throughout the rest of her life, she had tried making new friends, talking to people, and hinting that she was depressed but no one had came to her rescue. The story starts by Clay Jensen receiving seven cassette tapes in the mail from Hannah Baker, a girl who had committed suicide not even a month earlier. He listens to the tapes one by one realizing that these tapes contain Hannah Baker’s 13 reasons why she no couldn’t stand to be alive one more day.

This is a very sad story that can get to the heart of any reader. Suicide is a powerful and emotional subject to talk about; but Jay Asher balances it very well. Although I was in tears when reading this book, it has changed the way I think about spreading drama about someone or going out of my way to hurt someone else’s feelings when I know it is wrong to do. It also has helped me pay closer to my friends. No one should ever get to the point to where they think they have no way to be happy and nobody to turn to.

If you are looking for a story that will change your view on life in general, if you are looking for a story that will leave a never ending impression on your heart, and if you are looking for possible answers on why a young beautiful girl could suddenly end her life, this is the story for you. Hannah Baker has changed lives in her town and now is working her way into the real world.