The Iron King by Julie Kagawa | Teen Ink

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

By NoHandSigns BRONZE, Puyallup, Washington
NoHandSigns BRONZE, Puyallup, Washington

The Iron King, story of Meghan Chase, begins in our world. Soon, however, it travels into the world of Faery, land of the fey. There are two types of fey: the Summer Court, ruled by the nobly distant King Oberon and crazy, high maintenance Queen Titania (from Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream), and the Winter Court, ruled by it's cruel and cold Queen Mab. Meghan, an ordinary, slightly loser-ish high schooler, knows nothing of this world. At least, not until her 16th birthday, when her normal world falls apart shortly after she is embarrassed in front of her whole grade by her crush, the wonderful Scott. Her normally sweet younger half-brother hisses at her and laughs when their mom falls and hits her head, and her best friend, Robbie, reluctantly reveals to her that the little boy she sees in front of her is not in fact her brother, but a Changling- a faery. Robbie tells her that she has two options: forget about the whole ordeal with the help of a potion, or go save her brother from the unpredictable and extremely dangerous fey. He also springs upon her the tiny detail that he, himself, also happens to be the immortal jester of the Summer Court created by the stories of Shakespeare the bard; Puck. She takes the option of not leaving her brother in the hands of non-humans and the two plunge into a world where she is just as likely to be a snack as an ally. Oh yeah, and by the way, it turns out she isn't in fact 'Meghan Chase, human', but 'Meghan Chase, half-breed daughter of King Oberon'. Who kidnapped her brother? Who are these 'Iron Fey' that keep cropping up? What does it mean to be Oberon's daughter? Why does she feel so nervous around the youngest son of Mab, Prince Ash? Why do Ash and Puck hate each other? These questions and so, so many more, answered in...

The Iron King

It's an easy read, but there's enough intensity in the romance and fighting, as well as constant adventure, to keep people of any age hooked. A must-read.