Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton | Teen Ink

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

By JurtMushku BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
JurtMushku BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Dr. Alan Grant and Ellie Sattler could have never imagined the delightful wonders and suspenseful horrors on Isla Nublar, written by Michael Crichton in Jurassic Park, a thrilling sci-fi novel. This book takes place on Isla Nublar, an island owned by John Hammond, the wealthy head of a successful genetics company, InGen, who have been cloning and raising dinosaurs for the past five years. Recently though, workers have been claiming the island too unsafe for the public, and Hammond is forced to gather up a group of specialists who might be able to save “Jurassic Park.” This group includes Donald Gennaro, a lawyer who has worked with Hammond in the past, Alan Grant, one of the best paleontologists alive, Ellie Sattler, Grant’s student and a paleobotanist, Ian Malcolm, a mathematician who studies Chaos Theory, and Hammond’s grandkids, Lex and Tim who are supposed to test if the park is enjoyable.

This book is a beautifully written story of survival, and what disasters occur when man tries to control life, and play god, because, as said by Ian Malcolm, “Life breaks free... Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.” I thought that this book was incredible, and it was different from the 1993 film. If you’re holding out on the book because you’ve seen the film, you’re missing out. I’d definitely recommend this book, but to a more mature audience, as many parts of the book have technical or philosophical themes and explanations, plus the typically gorey demises. A great sci-fi novel though.