Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson | Teen Ink

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

By Marlee Guswiler BRONZE, Dexter, MI, Michigan
Marlee Guswiler BRONZE, Dexter, MI, Michigan

Wintergirls is a realistic fiction novel about a couple girls named, Cassie and Lia. Cassie dies in the beginning of the story. Cassie and Lia were best friends, and they both tried to be as skinny as possible. Cassie would eat and then purge, but Lia couldn’t, so she just didn’t eat much at all. When Cassie died everyone was worried about Lia, and how little she ate, especially Lia’s mom. Her mom would yell at Lia to eat. Her mom made a deal with Lia, if Lia ate a certain amount then her mom would tell her how Cassie really died. Cassie always seemed to haunt Lia, so Lia was waiting for the truth of how Cassie really died because Lia always felt guilty about not being there when Cassie died. This book was about a girl who starved herself to be really skinny.

This is a wonderful book I could not put it down! This book has a couple twists in it that made me keep reading. The theme that stands out the most would be, hope between person and food.. I really liked the author’s style, and the way she crossed out words in the book was really cool. I would recommend this book to any female young adults, because Wintergirls is more of a girls book, and there is some profanity in it. But I am sure, that anyone who enjoys realistic fiction books would enjoy this book. I would love to read more books by Laurie Halse Anderson.