Trouble don't last by shelley pearsall | Teen Ink

Trouble don't last by shelley pearsall

By austin rowe BRONZE, Dexter Ann Arbor, Michigan
austin rowe BRONZE, Dexter Ann Arbor, Michigan

“What does it say?” the sharp eyed man pushed. “They free or not?” The constable folded the paper carefully, square by square, and gave it back to me. “What do you think?” he said, keeping his eyes down. “Says they’re free.”

Trouble Don’t Last is a historical fiction novel by Shelley Pearsall where Harrison, a slave, takes Samuel, a slave boy, to run away with him from the Slave Plantation. They have to keep on the move because their former master continues chasing them wherever they go. Once they cross the Ohio River with the help of a slave there are patrollers who are constantly on the watch for runaway slaves. The river man tells them that there is a woman who will take care of any slaves. The woman sends them on to some others that will keep sending them onto Canada. As they keep running, Harrison falls seriously sick. Will Harrison survive? Do they make it to Canada and freedom? You’ll have to read the book to find out.

This is a great historical fiction novel. I liked this book because Samuel and Harrison are constantly on the move. This is what kept me reading this book. I also enjoyed the setting of this book. The beginning setting was on a slave plantation with a cruel and unjust master. If the setting wasn’t like this Harrison and Samuel wouldn’t be running away. I loved the whole book all the way through.

it's awesome