Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson | Teen Ink

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

November 29, 2011
By arielintheocean BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
arielintheocean BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“The scale shows up on the floor, the good one, the one that doesn’t lie. I strip, stand on it, to weigh my faults and sins. 089.00. I could say I’m exited, but that would be a lie. The number doesn’t matter. If I get down to 070.00, I’d want to be 065.00.”

This quote is from the thrilling realistic fiction novel Wintergirls, by Laurie Halse Anderson that will leave you starving for more. Lia, the protagonist, is an anorexic young adult who’s best friend, Cassie, just died. She is struggling to stay alive and is on the verge of death. Her parents aren’t understanding her struggle and it’s hard for her to find good support. This novel is about finding hope and that your mind is so power you can accomplish anything.
I think that this is a beautifully written book and is very touching. I loved how Anderson knows how to give you great, time stopping moments that give a chill to your spine. She created a great protagonist that really captures the mind set of a girl suffering from anorexia. She is good at capturing Lia’s inner thoughts and feelings. The antagonist, food, is a clever idea for an antagonist. The mystery of why Cassie died definitely kept me reading until the last page. The plot is brilliant. I would definitely recommend this book . The author is great at making chilling moments. I would recommend this book to teens 13 and up because of mature language and content.