The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games

Over the summer I read the book, The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. This book is full of many exciting and intricate characters but my favorite by far has to be Katniss Everdeen, the main character. Katniss is a sixteen year-old girl who lives in district twelve. She is faced with many conflicts throughout the book but one that struck me the most and one that I can relate to is when her eleven-year-old sister, Prim, is chosen to compete in the annual Hunger Games. Katniss cannot stand the fact that her younger sister, whom she loves dearly, could be faced with death, so she makes a brave decision and steps up to take Prim’s spot in the Hunger Games.
Having a little sister myself helped me to believe that Katniss definitely made the right decision by stepping up and taking Prim’s spot in the hunger games. I know I would not be able to live with myself if my little sister, who is easily my best friend, died. Also, a sixteen-year old girl would have a better chance at winning the Hunger Games than an eleven-year-old girl, so I think that Katniss’s decision was smart and thoughtful, and definitely what I would’ve done.

I chose to read this book mainly because every one of my friends recommended it to me, but now I see why! I would definitely recommend this to others. This book was definitely non-gender specific book; it has a little bit of love and a little bit of action. The Hunger Games is truly my favorite book so far!