The Child Called 'It' by Dave Pelzer | Teen Ink

The Child Called 'It' by Dave Pelzer

November 8, 2011
By Tiffany Dinh BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Tiffany Dinh BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A Story You’ll Want to Forget

“The Child Called ‘It’” by Dave Pelzer is a disturbing, inspirational true story of a boy getting brutally abused by his mother. Dave’s experience of abuse is nothing I’ve ever heard before. His story was like a fiction book. He wrote it so it seemed like a nightmare or night terror, but in reality, it was his life. This book made me realize that just because your family has a healthy, happy relationship doesn’t mean it won’t be completely turned around the next day.
This is one book I won’t forget, but want to forget. The details in the stories were pretty vague to me, but it still told me enough to know how bad the “punishments” were. His language at about only six years-old shocked me. The author really knew how to make me feel like I was there being abused. This is no ordinary book just to tell the story. This is the book that gets the message out to all those who are still being abused. There is still hope.
Not only does this influence kids, but adults also. I think some adults hated the things the mother did to Dave. No one should be acting the way the mother did.The “punishments” were beyond cruel and disgusting. It was so terrible; Dave’s abuse case was ranked the third worst abuse case in the nation in that time. Many adults should learn that that’s not the way they want to be headed when punishing a child. A child should be nurtured, and cared for. Don’t get me wrong. Adults shouldn’t do everything for a child, but give them discipline when deserved.
The story was told in first person point of view. The structure of the book is a flashback of when it all started until when he might be free. Some parts of the book were a bit choppy. It skipped from one age to the next, and one setting to the other really quickly. Other than a few minor dislikes of the writing, I didn’t want to put it down.
Even though many other reviews said negative comments about the book and the author, I recommend this book to those who like abuse, harassment, and other books along those genres. I think it would be a perfect true story if you like this kind of genre. It was overall a good book.