A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard | Teen Ink

A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard

November 8, 2011
By PaigeKayla BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
PaigeKayla BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Jaycee Dugard's "A Stolen Life" is a remarkable and powerful book. She takes us on her incredible journey through eighteen years of captivity. This book proved to me that life should never be taken for granted. Her story shows readers how fast a precious life can be taken. This book made me appreciate the little things in life, such as the simplicity of having a bed to sleep on every night, or the pleasure of being able to walk freely around your own home. It even made me realize how lucky I am to have a family who I can enjoy spending time with, which is something Jaycee didn't have for eighteen years.

I have never read a book so captivating and disturbing at the same time. Jaycee Dugard does a wonderful job of giving readers hope for current and future child abductions. She gives hope to those with such little hope at all. She also portrays the reality of child abductions and how easily it could happen to anyone. Just by sharing her incredible journey, she proves that victims can make it out alive. The things she faced on a daily basis were things I couldn't wish upon anyone. She does an amazing job of sharing such detail throughout her life. One thing that stood out in her book and amazed me was, considering all she had been through; she still does not have hate towards her tormentors because she chooses not to infect herself with such negativity. This is something I most admire about her, for I am not sure I could do this myself. I believe this book is something most readers can connect with. As I was reading this book, she talked about the countless number of things she missed out on as a teenager; things I couldn't ever imagine missing out on, things I could relate to. In this book, Jaycee proves that every moment is precious, learn to appreciate what you have because in a second, it could be taken away.