Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut | Teen Ink

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

By Skydaddy BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Skydaddy BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Don't be the next somebody else, be the first you.

Breakfast of Champions
by Kurt Vonnegut, Delacorte Press, 1973, 302 pp., $15.00,
ISBN 978-0-385-33420

Ever had a train of thought? Ever followed it? Where did it take you? In this book the author (Kurt Vonnegut) seems to follow his own railway system of thought on the page in an absolutely brilliant way-classic Vonnegut! There is no match for the wisdom embedded deep within the pages. Everything, and I mean everything, had a meaning. Just like a train of thought, everything bounced off of one another and connected back up. It takes a pretty thoughtful dude to make that happen.

The outline of the books plot is actually quite intriguing to be honest. A self-made, aging social outcast and short story writer from New York by the name of Kilgore Trout receives a letter from a well respected Pontiac dealer named Dwayne Hoover all the way in Midland City, Indiana. A great surprise to, say the least, considering that most of his work only appears in outdated men’s magazines. In the letter Dwayne Hoover asks Trout to participate in a story reading at his local hotel lobby. Surprised as he may be, Trout complies and makes the thousand mile journey from New York to a town outside Indianapolis to attend a story reading in a small town hotel for a man whom he has never known. Throughout the story one can only begin to understand way thinking of Trout, his counterparts, and even the author Kurt Vonnegut himself. A most definitely thought provoking as well as philosophical read.

As you can probably tell by now, I personally have nothing but great respect and praise for the book and its author. One thing that I do warn is that this book may not be for the non-curious. I sincerely hope for humanity’s sake that whether or not you are dumbfounded by the world on a daily basis, you will still be allowed the pleasure of enjoying this deep and interesting read. This is not your everyday book in the same way that this is not your everyday book review.