The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

By Dalousha BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Dalousha BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

Cockroaches stay dead when you kill them. Monsters are supposed to stay dead too, but they appear again and again, no matter how many times you kill them.

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan is a book in the present, but Roman and Greek gods are alive as well as terrifying monsters. Percy Jackson is a Greek demigod. Demigods walk between two worlds, the mortal world and the immortal world, and therefore, they can be harmed by both humans and monsters. He had his memory stolen from Hera, though he learns about himself during his quest. He somehow finds his way to a Roman camp, even though he was from a Greek camp. He makes friends there with other demigods and gains their trust and respect. He meets Hazel, a girl who has already died, has a curse that allows her to make gold and valuable minerals appear near her, and anyone who touches it besides her will be cursed. Percy also meets Frank who is a shape shifter and can be almost anything he wants to be. His life depends on a wooden stick. If the wooden stick is burned, is life will also burn away. Percy, Hazel and Frank find out that Gaea, also known as Mother Nature is the bad guy and she lets out the worst monsters from the underworld. They also find out that when monsters die, they will soon reappear again. Percy, Hazel and Frank are put onto a quest to save the Thantos, the guard of the underworld, so that monsters can die without reappearing again.

I think this is a great book because it is full of action and monster slaying that you cannot be bored. I liked it because there was lots of action and bits of humor. The book has tons of suspense that you won’t want to put down the book. This is a great book for fantasy and science fiction readers or those who are into mythology. It is a must read for 10 year old to 15 year old kids. It has lots of fighting, dialogue and strange abilities. Once you are done with this book you will be begging for the next one in the series.