Little Brother by Cory Doctorow | Teen Ink

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

November 3, 2011
By iainfull BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
iainfull BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Music is what I thought that matters, I thought that music mattered- but does it bothex, not compaired to our peoples matter.


Little Brother
by Cory Doctorow, Tor Teen: First Edition edition, April 13, 2010, 416 pp., $9.99
ISBN 978-0765323118

reviewed by Iain Dixon, Grade 8
McDougle Middle School, Chapel Hill, North Carolina


In modern day America, most citizens can’t imagine what it would be like to get attacked by terrorists, but in the book “Little Brother” by Cory Doctorow, that’s exactly what happens. Marcus, a 17 year old guy who is a computer geek, uses his talents to beat the security system at his school. After he and his friends get out of class for the release of a totally awesome video game - a bomb blows up the San-Francisco Bridge. Caught in the frightened aftermath, Marcus and his friends are caught by the DHS (Department of Homeland Security), where Marcus is brutally tortured by the USA government. After that, Marcus goes home, thirsty for revenge against the horrible government that rules him.


I thought that Cory Doctorow did a great job talking about the danger about terrorism, and that our government won’t do very much good to try and stop it. His book isn’t anti-government, it just takes a boys point of view as the DHS take over his home, and country. Some of the aspects that I love about the book is the talk about programming, because I do a little of that myself. Several other really nerdy thing (like larping) are talked about without any shame or awkwardness. Because, lets face it, people walking around and pretending that they are heroes or monsters is rather nerdy, wouldn’t you agree? So, back on topic, this book will keep you captured, start to finish. I almost couldn’t put the thing down, and I had a very bad sleeping pattern because I read the book until it was very early in the morning.


I found that In the end, this book might not appeal to kids that are young in age or mind. It only makes sense if you are well aquatinted with what happened during 9/11 and what wars we have been fighting against terrorism. People who are also rather paranoid about the government might find it in their liking to read this. In short, think that both genders, and some older kids, teenagers, and adults would enjoy this book. It is a very good one to fall back to if you don’t have a book, and who know, maybe you’ll get just as addicted to it as I did!!!!