Shine by Lauren Myracle | Teen Ink

Shine by Lauren Myracle

November 3, 2011
By Abby K BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Abby K BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine finding out that your friend that you’ve known for ten years is in a coma. Imagine being the only person who was friends with him. Try being Catherine. Shine, by Lauren Myracle, is about an eighteen-year-old girl who has been friends with Patrick since she was young- but one day he is found unconscious at a nearby gas station. Patrick is gay, and Catherine knows somebody beat him up because of his orientation. She thinks she knows who it is, but whenever she asks about who did it, nobody believes her. In addition to worrying about who hurt Patrick, Catherine also is scared about him. She has so many questions- what if Patrick doesn’t survive? Who hurt Patrick? It’s up to Cat to find out who.



I really enjoyed this book. It’s realistic and has real-world problems that are happening today. Shine is fast-paced and keeps you on the edge of your seat until the end. Lauren Myracle has a great sense of humor, and although this book can have tragic moments, there are parts that make you laugh out loud. This book includes a huge mystery, and you don’t find out the solution until the last few pages. I’ve read this book a few times already, and I couldn’t put it down. It isn’t predictable at all. The ending has a twist on what the reader expects, and I couldn’t believe what happened.



In conclusion, Shine is an amazing page turner for ages thirteen and up. I definitely recommend this book because it’s funny, and has a great story. Besides being an incredible book, Shine has so many moments that will make you cry or laugh. I love all the books by Lauren Myracle, but Shine is one of my favorites.