The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

November 3, 2011
By Isabel A. BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Isabel A. BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“The snake haired ladies were starting to annoy Percy.” Those are the first words in Rick Riordan’s new book The Son of Neptune. Percy Jackson is back, but this time Rick Riordan puts a twist on things, Percy’s not fighting alongside Greeks, he’s working with Romans. Percy wakes up in the roman camp, named Camp Jupiter, with a memory gone and the old evil Earth Godess Gaea threatening to destroy the demigods and Gods. Death is a character that has been chained in Alaska, the land beyond the Gods, so now monsters aren’t dying because Death isn’t there to make sure they stay in the underworld. With the help of his new roman companions, Frank and Hazel, Percy has to free Death and try to remember who he is. Will they survive the obstacles that stand in their way?

This book is a must read for those nostalgic Percy Jackson fans. I personally loved every bit of this new story! Rick Riordan executed this book in a way that lets you really know the characters better. The Son of Neptune switches narrators, so you can get inside each character’s head. If you’re a person that loves suspense this is a book for you. The author does a great job of giving you a little hint then right when your about to know a juicy secret something else happens and your left hanging! Plus, I liked how the characters in this book are so interesting. Hazel should be dead, Frank has a secret that could mean the end of him, and Percy is working to remember his past. This book is a hands down page turner. It was beautifully written and I’m anxiously waiting for the next book to come out!