Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

November 3, 2011
By MrGoalieMan BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
MrGoalieMan BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Most people think of ancient men wearing dresses and bed sheets when they think of Greek mythology. I tend to think of Rick Riordan’s books; especially Son of Neptune. This amazing novel is about a 16 year old named Percy Jackson. Percy is the son of the sea god, Poseidon, who is known as Neptune in Rome. Percy is originally from a Greek camp called Camp Half-Blood. After suffering from amnesia, Percy finds himself in a Roman camp called The Legion. There is another book, a prequel, where a hero from the Legion, named Jason, has suffered amnesia as well, and finds himself at Camp Half-Blood.
Because Percy is not from the Roman camp, he is looked upon as a stranger and outsider. He begins to make a few friends at the camp, and the misfit group is assigned to a mythological quest to defeat a Giant. These Giants are after revenge for themselves against the Greek and Roman gods. During his quest, Percy begins to remember small elements about his past, such as a girlfriend from the other camp, his ability to read Greek better than Latin, and all of the Greek names for the Roman gods and goddesses. Percy soon realizes that if they are going to defeat these Giants, the two camps (Greek and Roman) must work together.
I enjoyed this book because it is about mythological characters and monsters, but it also has a modern twist, which the author Rick Riordan is very good at portraying. I also really liked the aspect of the book where Jason from the Legion was lost, and his account of the story in The Lost Hero. There are a lot of amazing details in this book, and the action will keep you reading. I honestly found that I was reading it for hours on end with no idea how much time was passing. That effect stunned me, and if you are interested in books that intertwine realistic fiction and fantasy, I think you’ll be amazed by this book as well.


The author's comments:
This was a great book, and I finished it in a few days.