Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor | Teen Ink

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor

By AnnaGraceKelley BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
AnnaGraceKelley BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Are you looking for a great book to read? Well, if you are then you’ve come to the right place! The book, Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry, takes you on an adventure through the past. The story is about a young black girl named Cassie who lives in Mississippi. She and her family happen to live during the times of segregation and all the black people in her town get treated very unfairly. Cassie and her three brothers have it especially hard, because their dad is away working and sometimes their mom can’t protect the family. Even amidst the struggles, Cassie refuses to give up hope and fights to stay grounded.
The author Mildred D. Taylor does a great job of engaging the reader throughout the entire novel. With every struggle that Cassie faces, you feel like you are going through it yourself. You will also feel pride when Cassie overcomes obstacles and you will grieve when they seem to defeat her. The book also gives you a different perspective then many other Historical Fiction books because of its point of view. Through Cassie’s eyes you see a whole different world that will definitely surprise you. So, if you like Historical Fiction, this is a must read!