The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By Glush BRONZE, Castro Valley, California
Glush BRONZE, Castro Valley, California

The Hunger Games Will Leave You Hungry for More

The Hunger Games tells the heart-wrenching, nail-biting story of a post-war America some hundreds of years in the future. The land has been decimated by nuclear weapons, and the country, renamed Panem, is split into 12 districts. Panem is ruled by the Capitol and its leader, President Snow. Every year, the Hunger Games take place. The Hunger Games are vicious battles to the death between 2 tributes (one boy and one girl) from each district. The Hunger Games is a great book, narrating the amazing journey of Katniss Everdeen and her fellow tribute Peeta Mellark as they battle their way through the Hunger Games and defy the Capitol, with twists and surprises on every page.

District 12 is a district designated for coal mining. It is fairly unimportant, and the Capitol pays little attention to it. Katniss lives here with her sister, Prim, and her mother. She’s a natural hunter, and she hunts with her best friend, Gale, until one day, Prim is selected for the Hunger Games. Unable to watch her 12 year old sister die in the Games, Katniss volunteers to take her place. As the other tribute, Peeta, is selected, Katniss has a fond memory of him giving bread to her when she and her family were on the verge of starving. What she doesn’t know, however, is that Peeta has fallen in love with her. As they journey to the Capitol to prepare for the Games, they are trained by their drunken mentor, Haymitch, who is a previous winner of the Games. In their preparation, Katniss becomes close friends with Peeta, but then realizes she must kill him eventually in order to survive. She is faced with a choice: kill Peeta and return to her family, or help Peeta to victory and hope that Gale can take care of her family. Everyone believes Katniss must choose one of these options, but she has other plans. Read this incredible book to find out what she does, and how she’s about to change the future of Panem.