Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg | Teen Ink

Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg

By Meg2014 BRONZE, Hayward, California
Meg2014 BRONZE, Hayward, California

"Live life like no one is looking"

When I first opened Prom and Prejudice, by Elizabeth Eulberg I prepared for the worst; a poorly written, cheesy, and over racy take on Jane Austen’s classic. But, however I was pleasantly surprised.

Lizzy is a scholarship student at Longbourn Academy. She is smart, witty, and to her rich classmates, poor. Much like the setting of the original novel, money and a good family name is everything. Unfortunately, Lizzy is lacking in both those areas. All throughout the book there were parallels to the original classic.

This book was written from Lizzy’s very witty point of view. It was such a relatable story for me. Because instead of a vampire soul mate kind of book, it was about a girl struggling to fit in and find a date to the allusive prom. A great milestone for any teenage girl, am I right?

The main theme of this book is looking past stereotypes and material things, and seeing the person underneath. Which was also a theme in Austen’s version, but it flourished more in this novel.

I highly, highly recommend this book for anyone! Especially fans of Miss Austen will love it. It kept me laughing, swooning, and falling in love with reading all over again with every page.