The Book Thief by Markus Zusak | Teen Ink

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

October 27, 2011
By InMyFreeTime BRONZE, CASTRO VALLEY, California
InMyFreeTime BRONZE, CASTRO VALLEY, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Shoot for the moon, and even if you miss, you'll land among the stars" -?


The Book Thief by Markus Zusak has to be one of my favorite books of all time. It follows the life of Liesel, a young girl growing up in Nazi Germany. She has to leave her birth mother for reasons that aren’t fully explained. She is taken to the home of the Hubermanns, a married couple whose children have already grown up and moved out. The Hubermanns, Rosa and Hans, become her foster parents. The story follows her as she has to deal with such things as hiding a Jew in her basement and stealing books from the mayor’s wife.

Part of what makes this book so fabulous is the narrator. The point of view that this book is told from is very unique and it enhances the book so much. I won’t spoil who the narrator is because half of what makes it so good is gradually coming to realize who the book is told by. I can assure you though, that once you realize who the book is narrated by, and it gives the book a whole new and very intriguing light.

The writing style of this book is wonderful. It is different than any other book that I’ve read. Throughout the book, there are little segments inserted into the text that are things such as thoughts or a definition and they all enhance the book so much. Each one contributes something that makes the book richer and gives the reader something to think about.

What truly makes me love this book is that it made me think. One of the main points of the book is the importance of words and how people can use them. This theme really made me think about how people use words and how strong and powerful they can be. I found myself in my English class thinking about how the words I was writing and the words I was reading are so important and how they are powerful. I love that a book can make me really think about my life and how things in my life happen.