Fruits Basket #1 by Natsuki Takaya | Teen Ink

Fruits Basket #1 by Natsuki Takaya

October 4, 2011
By ShelbyD GOLD, Tolono, Illinois
ShelbyD GOLD, Tolono, Illinois
11 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you.


Fruits Basket #1
Fruits Basket #1 by Natsuki Takaya is a mind blowing book I just couldn’t put down. I just love how it can be dramatic. It is also weird, because it is a Japanese book so it is backwards. So you have to read it backwards so instead of reading it left to right you have to read it right to left but not the words though.

There is a girl named Tohru Honda and her mother died so she had to live with her grandpa but he is remodeling his house. So they have to live somewhere else for the moment, so she decides to go and live in a tent on a cliff till the remodeling is done. On her way to school one morning she sees a house nearby and she finds out some people are living in it, and when they find out that she is living on the cliff nearby they say that she can stay there until the remodeling is done.

This book I would say is a romance/comedy book. I really loved when she got to meet the person who is really the cat from the Zodiac legend and that she finds out the secret of the Zodiac legend. I really hated it when the person who is the Zodiac cat was being a jerk to her through almost the whole entire time she is there, even if he isn’t used to being around people it just isn’t right to me, I also didn’t like that she had to go back to her grandpas house right as soon as the remodeling was done. Will the people she was previously living with go to her grandpa’s house to get her back? Will the guy who is the Zodiac cat ever be nice to Tohru Honda ever? Well you will just have to read the book to find out.

Compared to other books I think it is a really good book. If I had to rate it I would probably give it 9 out of 10 stars. I would definitely recommend this book to any 13 year old or older, or at least 8th grade and up. I would also recommend this book to anyone that likes anime, people that like reading Japanese books, or people that just want to try reading new things. There is also a lot of cussing so if you are younger than 13 or you are not allowed to read books with cuss words I would not recommend this book to you.