Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

By blacktime BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois
blacktime BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Catching Fire is a suspense filled twist turning futuristic book that gets 10 out of 10 from me. It will keep you turning the page until you get to the end because, it will almost never turn out how you suspect it will come out. You should pick it up as soon as you can, you won’t regret it.
Catching Fire is written by Suzanne Collins who loved Greek myth of the Minotaur and is showing us on how we are desensitized to violence. Catching Fire is about a world destroyed by chemical warfare swallowing some of the earth. Out of what’s left of the United States of America that didn’t flood is a country named Panem, where a capitol rules over thirteen different districts. The capitol is a high tech future we dream about where the district’s people are left to fend for themselves and be slaves for the capitol.
District thirteen was wiped of the map and the capitol started the hunger games from a revolt from all the districts, were each district is to send one boy and girl to send to the capitol and fight to the death. The winner gets to live a life of safety from the games for life in a fancy house in their district.
Catching Fire’s main character is a girl named Katniss Everdeen. From the first book in Hunger Games series “The Hunger Games.” Katniss lived in district twelve and volunteered to go to the hunger games in her sister place. She showed several signs of rebellion against the capital when she didn’t mean to. She won the games and the first time ever came out with a partner named Peeta Melark were the only way that happened they made up a fake relation of to love birds in the arena. Now Katniss is told most people in the districts saw through the love bird act and saw rebellion. The winner goes to visits the other districts, so they tell Katniss they must prove to the other districts they really where in love and not trying to rebel against the capitol in fear of something worse the districts will be put through.
Now if that was not bad enough it’s the Quarter Quail is upon them, which is the event that changes the games for that year every 25 years. This time one boy and girl victor from every district must go back to the arena. The extreme bad thing about that Katniss is the only girl victor in district 12. Katniss also has to fight one of the only two boy victors in district 12 Peeta. Now can Katniss survive her feelings and the clock?