The Adoration of Jenna Fox | Teen Ink

The Adoration of Jenna Fox

September 16, 2011
By daisymay123 BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
daisymay123 BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson is a science-fiction book set in the future written. Jenna, the protagonist in the book, is a teenage girl trying to find her identity. When she was 16, she got in a car accident. She was in a coma and a deathly condition from the car accident for a year. Her parents knew she was close to dying, but they would do anything to save her because she was the perfect daughter. Her dad had invented a gel called Bio-Gel, which is something you can store organs in. You can store the organs for as long as you need, until you have to use them. This came into use when her father created a whole new body for Jenna. Underneath Jenna’s partly “artificial” skin, there was a layer of Bio-Gel to keep all organs up and running. When Jenna sees the blue gel underneath her skin, she is very confused. She starts to realize that she is partly artificial. However, Jenna’s parents don’t want her to know what happened in the accident. They also don’t want her to know who she is because her body is illegal. Over years she goes on a journey to try to find her real identity.
I liked how this book took a teenage girl and turned it into science fiction. She goes through typical teenage problems, but the author still kept the book very science fiction which was interesting. By about the middle of the book, Jenna had many of her questions about the car accident answered. Unfortunately, the book was quite repetitive after the middle and moved very slowly after that, so it was hard to finish. I would recommend this book to someone who doesn’t love science-fiction because the book has much more to it than just science. However, if you like fast moving books, this would probably not be the best choice. Overall, I think the Adoration of Jenna Fox had a very interesting story and was a pretty easy read.