The Boy in Striped Pajamas by John Boyne | Teen Ink

The Boy in Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

September 29, 2011
By Anonymous

Bruno is a nine years old boy that lived during World War II. He lives in Berlin, Germany. His father is a high ranking soldier in the Nazi Military. One day Hitler came to Bruno’s house and told his dad he would be moving to a camp and would be in charge of it. Bruno didn’t want to leave because he liked his home. When he arrives at the new house he hates it. The house only has three floors his old house had five. Bruno calls the new place Out-With. Which is really pronounced Auschwitz. He has never traveled to this place and it did not seem like it was Germany at all. It was in Poland. When Bruno walks into his room he looks out his window and sees a high barbed wire fence with a bunch of huts on the other side. He looks and sees people in striped pajamas.


As the plot progresses, Bruno soon gets bored with being stuck indoors and one night goes to the fence and meets a boy named Shmuel, who is a prisoner of the Nazi and Shmuel is a Jew. Bruno is young and doesn’t realize that there is a war going on and that the Jews are being killed and put in camps.



I liked this book because it has a surprising twist at the end that no one expects. I liked this book because it demonstrates the terrifying events of our world history. The war effected adults and children in a devastating way. I would recommend this book to someone who wants to see a different perspective on World War II and who likes books about friendship.