The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

September 29, 2011
By Claire Maxwell SILVER, Monticello, Illinois
Claire Maxwell SILVER, Monticello, Illinois
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

The Hunger Games
By Suzanne Collins

I recently read an action-packed book called The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The Hunger Games has won the 2010 Rebecca Caudill Award.

In The Hunger Games, 16-year-old Katniss Everdeen lives in the future world of Panem, a country that consists of 12 districts and a glorious Capitol. Every year, one girl and one boy ranging in ages 12-18 are sent to the Hunger Games, a fight to death on live TV. The rest of Panem is forced to watch them on TV until there is a victor. Katniss goes from her home in poverty-stricken District 12 to the Capitol as a Hunger Games participant.
One of my favorite things about The Hunger Games is all of the action. The Hunger Games is very hard to put down because you always want to know what happens next. What I didn’t like about The Hunger Games is the ending. The beginning and middle of the book are very strong, and most of the book is very suspenseful, but I thought that the ending was weak. It does make you want to read the sequel, Catching Fire, but I would expect a much stronger ending for such a strong book.

The Hunger Games is one of my favorite books because it is beautifully written. Even though parts of the book are scary, even disturbing, I still enjoyed the book in the end because it is written so well. I would recommend The Hunger Games to people ages 12 and up. In my opinion, The Hunger Games is a great read as long as you don’t mind the violence involved.