One-Handed Catch by Mj Auch | Teen Ink

One-Handed Catch by Mj Auch

September 29, 2011
By TheSage SILVER, Monticello, Illinois
TheSage SILVER, Monticello, Illinois
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

One-Handed Catch

Books don’t usually make me think about real situations in life but One-Handed Catch by MJ Auch did just that. This book is of the best books I’ve ever read. One-handed Catch is about a boy about a boy named Norm who has an awful accident but you will have to read the book to find out what that accident is. This accident impacts the rest of the story because Norm has to deal with it for the rest of his life. The story takes place in a small town during the summer and some of school year. In the story Norm realizes that even though this awful accident happened he does have a lot of support from his family and best friend Leon who is a big part in this story.
The one thing Norm wants to do is play baseball, but he knows that he is going to work extra hard to make it because of the accident that happened. This is when I loved the book so much because his character just gets better and better as he’s dealing with his accident. The genre of this book is realistic fiction. This is another reason I love this book because the things in this book could happen and it kind of did because the author based this story loosely off her husband’s life story.

This book shows a lot of determination and that you can do anything if you set your mind to it. This book is so good that I would give it 9 out of 10. If your anywhere from 5th grade to a freshman in high school this book is perfect for you. This book shows that anybody can achieve anything and I think that is a great thing to have in a book. The only weakness this book has in my opinion is the Mom in the story is not very likable. In the book she is very hard on Norm and cuts him no slack. You have to read the story to find out why and who knows maybe you will like her.

This book is one of the best books I’ve ever read and I definitely recommend it to you. This book taught me a lot of things not only about determination but life over all. This book is an easy read and it goes by fast because you won’t be able to put it down. MJ Auch did an amazing job writing this story.