After by Francine Prose | Teen Ink

After by Francine Prose

September 29, 2011
By RachelW. SILVER, Monticello, Illinois
RachelW. SILVER, Monticello, Illinois
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

After
Written By: Francine Prose

After, written by Francine Prose, author of eleven highly acclaimed fiction novels and receiver of many grants and awards, is put in a unique perspective of love, sorrow, and an unbelievable and unsolved mystery.

The shootings at Pleasant Planes, 40 miles away from Central High, causes an increase in security and a hiring of a crisis counselor. Soon teachers who aren’t following the new, bogus rules leave and don’t come back. Students using drugs and are suspects of stress start getting shipped off to camps, or so the other students have been told. Student’s parents, soon after, start getting emails and are hypnotized by advanced information and technology. Tom, Avery, Brian, and Becca’s parents are the only ones who seem sane. Soon they are going to have to know, when things start to get worse, where do they go? How will they survive? Who will come after them?
“After, where are they going!?”

This is one of my favorite books. I was not a huge fan of mystery/fiction books but this one changed my mind. In my opinion the play on words, and extreme situations were put into a student’s understanding. The weakness, or downfall of the After was how the situations tied into the story. They didn’t seem relevant enough to play a huge part in the story like they did. Over all it was a very good book. I would recommend this to every one 7th grade to a senior in high school.

Will you find where they’ve gone? Why? Who is forcing the school to get rid of students? Will they come back, After?