The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

September 25, 2011
By Tpromus BRONZE, Sandy, Oregon
Tpromus BRONZE, Sandy, Oregon
1 article 4 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Yesterday is history...
Tomorrow is a mystery...
Today is the present....
That's why it's a gift.


The Hunger Games

Have you ever thought about being the provider of your entire family at the age of eleven? Imagine that scenario, but in a world where food is scarce and where you can’t just go to the grocery store and buy what you need. In this story, life isn’t so simple…

Reading the Hunger Games was like being introduced to an entirely different era with a mixture of ancient times and future times. The focus of the book is about a teenage girl who is chosen to compete in an arena with 23 other people to the death. The last one living is considered the winner. It’s a horrible thought to think that teens are forced to fight for their lives like they’re some kind of video game.

Imagine you’re brother or sister being chosen to compete in the Hunger Games. How would that make you feel? To know that your sibling had a 1/24 chances to survive… Well in this case, that did happen to Katniss Everdeen. Her eleven-year-old sister, Primrose, was picked to be in the Games, but Katniss would not let that happen. She volunteered herself to take her place because she knew her sister would not survive. Through her trials and means of survival, a romantic story unfolds. But in order to reveal the outcome in the end, you must read the book yourself.

This book made me think about how I view my loved ones and what I would do for them. I realized that I never really thought about how much I would sacrifice and how far I would go for them. Today, in our society, this issue hardly comes up. It’s rare for us to see moments where we have to decide whether or not to take a bullet for someone else… It’s just not that common. We take a lot of things for granted in life and I feel guilty about that. This book really opened up my eyes to the things we have in life and every day I want to thank God for everything he’s given me.

If you want an adventurous, romantic, action-thrilling, mind blowing experience, pick up The Hunger Games, and I guarantee the first two pages you read will get you hooked. Believe me when I say that, the book is just that addicting. When you finish reading the Hunger Games, I have no doubt that you wont be disappointed…