The Devouring by Simon Holt

The Devouring is a chilling book, lingering in your mind even after you’ve finished the last page. The Vours a monster that you hope never to face, for they steal your body, and leave your soul to evaporate. But don’t be scared, they can only get you one night a year, on Sorry Night. They feed on fear, so keep yours bottled up tight, before you go to bed tonight.

The book follows Regina Halloway, a girl forced to grow up too fast since her mom left. She quickly fell into taking care of Henry- her little brother, every night making sure to read him a bedtime story. She quickly grows bored with this and decides to read him something more interesting, so finding a strange old journal at the used book store she works for, she brings it home.

She reads The Devouring to her brother, never suspecting it was real. Never suspecting that on December twenty-second, her brother would fall prey to the Vours.

I enjoyed this book, it was a little slow at first, but it picked up quickly. The fear in the book keeping the pages turning until there were none left. If you’re looking for a book that will keep you up at night, this would be a good pick.