Dear John by Nicholas Sparks | Teen Ink

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

September 22, 2011
By Anonymous

I have never really liked reading books as much as I liked watching the movie that went along with it. To my surprise, reading "Dear John" was extremely more interesting than watching the movie. I highly recommend reading this novel to those who are interested in love stories. It captured the image of two ordinary people who fell deeply in love.

"Dear John" is a story about a young man who grew up living life “on the edge”. John Tyree grew up with out a mother and lived with his father, who was a man of few words. John decided to join the military, knowing that his lack of education would not make him eligible for many jobs. When John was on leave from Germany, he fell madly in love with an attractive, intelligent, and devoted college student named Savannah. The week they met and spent together went by faster than either of them could have ever imagined. They wrote to each other as often as they could. John knew that his love for Savannah would never go away. Little did he know that Savannah would always feel the same way about him.

This book shows a lot of emotion. I never caught myself bored reading this book because of the vivid details that pulled me in. At points, the story was very happy and others brought tears. Nicholas Sparks’ word choice made "Dear John" very interesting, romantic, and sympathetic.

When I turned to the last page of the book, I was devastated that it had to end. I, in no way, expected the book to finish the way it did. Nicholas Sparks has become one of my favorite authors because of his ability to write such talented books that relate to everyday lives. "Dear John" is a really good example of following your heart. It really made me think that everything always doesn’t end up the way you expect it to and even when it doesn’t, you have to move on in your life and know that sometimes the journey is even better than the destination.