Divergent by Veronica Roth | Teen Ink

Divergent by Veronica Roth

By Juju369 BRONZE, Brownsburg, Indiana
Juju369 BRONZE, Brownsburg, Indiana

"Life is a daring adventure or nothing" -Helen Keller

Divergent is probably one of my all time favorite books of all time. The way the words seem to jump off the page and create vivid images in my mind leads me to believe that Veronica Roth is a genius for writing this book. Divergent is meaningful, full of action, and constantly made me say "just five more minutes", only to find myself reading an hour later.

Divergent takes place several decades in the future in a large city. The city is divided into five factions: Abnegation, who are selfless, Dauntless, who are courageous, Amity, who are friendly, Candor, who are honest, and Erudite, who pursue knowledge. The main character in Divergent is Tris, a sixteen year old girl who has been raised by her family, who are in the Abnegation faction. All residents of the city must choose which faction they will live in when they are sixteen, and Tris' heart is torn between pleasing her family in Abnegation, an act of selflessness, or joining Dauntless, where she wants to go, an act of courage. Her choice changes her life forever.
After her initiation into her faction, which I am choosing not to reveal, things get rough. She has discovered that she is divergent, or has the mysterious ability to manipulate the events that take place in the simulators used to test and train new faction members. Unfortunately, this isn't something the city's government is happy about. All known divergents have been killed in "accidents" that the government has caused. Tris doesn't know it yet, but secret may cost her her life.
Divergent is truthfully, the best book I've read this year, and I am an avid reader. And if that doesn't make my love of this book clear, then maybe this will. I can't wait for the sequel!