The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne | Teen Ink

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

The novel, ‘scarlet letter (A)' was written by Nathaniel Hawthorne. The main character is Hester Prynne, who went to jail for committing adultery which is a crime in that community. Adultery was regarded as a very serious sin in the Puritan community.
I like to read the book because it's attractive and the story is interesting. I don't like the way the leaders of the community treated Hester, I feel that they should have flogged her and warn her not to do that again. For someone like myself, I'd rather die than face such degrading humiliation of carrying a red badge all over town.
One meaningful event, from my own view that happened from the novel, was when the minister- her co-adulterer, actually asked her to say the name of her daughter's father. He was like ‘please say the name of your daughter's father, even if he occupies a high position in the community and has to be striped of his position for life'.
The book is a nice and attractive one, which started well but ended on a sad note. I thought the book was going to end on a joyful note, where the minister, Hester and Pearl were supposed to be united after all.
I would have loved Hester to marry the minister and her daughter having a father to cling unto. I would have preferred that Hester's daughter was not wild due to the fact that she was raised by a single mother.