The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne | Teen Ink

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

April 10, 2008
By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

The novel, ‘scarlet letter (A)' was written by Nathaniel Hawthorne. The main character is Hester Prynne, who went to jail for committing adultery which is a crime in that community. Adultery was regarded as a very serious sin in the Puritan community.
I like to read the book because it's attractive and the story is interesting. I don't like the way the leaders of the community treated Hester, I feel that they should have flogged her and warn her not to do that again. For someone like myself, I'd rather die than face such degrading humiliation of carrying a red badge all over town.
One meaningful event, from my own view that happened from the novel, was when the minister- her co-adulterer, actually asked her to say the name of her daughter's father. He was like ‘please say the name of your daughter's father, even if he occupies a high position in the community and has to be striped of his position for life'.
The book is a nice and attractive one, which started well but ended on a sad note. I thought the book was going to end on a joyful note, where the minister, Hester and Pearl were supposed to be united after all.
I would have loved Hester to marry the minister and her daughter having a father to cling unto. I would have preferred that Hester's daughter was not wild due to the fact that she was raised by a single mother.