Someone Like You by Sarah Dessin | Teen Ink

Someone Like You by Sarah Dessin

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

Someone Like You is a young adult novel by Sarah Dessin, that deals with many issues teens have these days such as relationships, parents, pregnancy, and friendship. It is a story about a girl named Halley and her best friend Scarlett trying to find themselves in our chaotic world. Halley's mother, a psychologist, makes Halley go away to a two week “sisterhood” camp. While at camp, Halley gets a phone call from Scarlett saying that Scarlett's secret boyfriend, Michael, is dead.

Both of the girls change after the death. When Halley starts dating Macon, the school “bad boy” and Michael's best friend, her and her mother's great relationship goes out the window. She lies to her parents and begins acting out of character. Then, Scarlett finds out that she is pregnant with Michael's child.

Scarlett and Halley must decide how to live their lives and make decisions that will change them forever. This book was one of the best books I have ever read along with Dessin‘s other like That Summer, The Truth About Forever, This Lullaby, and Keeping the Moon. Even though she is past her teenage years, she writes in such a style that it seems as if she's only a teen. I can really relate to the things she has to say. This book along with That Summer was the root of the plot for the movie How to Deal. I recommend this book to anyone who likes love stories and wants a good read.