City of Glass By Cassandra Clare | Teen Ink

City of Glass By Cassandra Clare

April 7, 2008
By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

I recently found myself in Chapters, somewhere I quite often find myself. I was searching the aisles, just perusing, not looking for anything in particular. But when I turned around from my place in front of the “G's” in the teen section, I was blown away.

Sitting high and mighty on the shelf before me was a big, blue book. It had an incredible cover of the Brooklyn Bridge and East River in New York City, as well as a girl in a blue tank top with flaming red hair, hands on her hips, looking determined. I was beholding the cover of City of Glass the second of The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare.

I'd read City Of Bones, the first of the series, and I fell in love with Cassandra Clare's vivid characters and shocking twists. The world of Shadowhunters had permanently drawn me in. Now I had City Of Ashes in a Chapters bag sitting on the car seat beside me, and I was shaking with excitement. What could this new installment possibly hold? I had no idea, but I already knew it was going to be good.

From the prologue, I could tell that Valentine (the evil ex-Shadowhunter) was planning something big. Valentine is just waiting to use the newly found Mortal cup. The Mortal Cup is known to create new Shadowhunters (demon killers) by allowing normal humans (also known as mundanes) to drink from it. Valentine seems to be building an army, to get revenge on the world of Shadowhunters he disagrees with. Now Valentine has stolen the Sword (the second of the Mortal Instruments) and the Clave (basically a Shadowhunter government) suspects Jace for it.

Jace is the son of Valentine, but only found out about it a few weeks ago. Jace found out at the same time that Clary- who is the main character- is also his sister. This fact causes serious turmoil through Jace and Clary, as they have a romantic history together. We quickly find out; they are not over it. Jace continues to pressure Clary into being with him, despite the fact that they are siblings. Clary is afraid of her feelings for Jace, and tries to ignore them with a relationship with her best friend Simon.

Clary, Jace and Simon are three of the five teenagers who make up this incredible story. Alec and Isabelle Lightwood are Shadowhunters like Jace and Clary, and are best friends with them. Throughout the book, they deal with trying to prove Jace is innocent, and has no relationship with his father. But their mother is afraid of Jace, and disapproves. Alec is also in a relationship with a warlock, which is disapproved of not just because they're gay, but also because warlocks aren't considered suitable company for a Shadowhunter.

Throughout the book, I saw how these many relationships evolved as a side plot to the theme of good against evil, and being confused about what is good and evil. Demon killing is a guarantee of action, so it didn't surprise me when the story evolved into a battle, with life or death as an ultimatum. But are Clary and Jace able to save the world from Valentine and his demons? They are his children, so they may have powers and gifts beyond those they know…

When I finished this book a simple six hours later, I turned it around to look at the cover once more. I wanted to check if it wasn't actually a giant Toblerone bar disguised as a book. It wasn't, but I was still hungry for more! Lot's more! I can't wait for the final book of the amazing trilogy The Mortal Instruments.
This book, City Of Ashes, is one of my all time favorites. Every scene formed a movie in my mind, and felt so completely realistic with a touch of fantasy. I could feel everything Clary felt, so I feel as if I've gone through this whole experience with her. City Of Ashes is sure to be a bestseller, and I can't wait to see a movie of it.
City Of Ashes is for everyone from fans of Twilight and Harry Potter, to fans of Pride and Prejudice. So next time you step into the Chapters near you, make sure you do a quick three-sixty. You may just find yourself looking at your new favourite book. Maybe even City Of Ashes.