Hoot By Carl Hiaasen | Teen Ink

Hoot By Carl Hiaasen

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

In this fiction story, an average middle school boy moves from Montana to Florida. He is bullied and meets new friends just like a normal teenage boy. His life suddenly starts to change and becomes more exciting when he notices this fare-foot kid running next to the school bus.

This is not one of those books to keep reading just because you like it, you just want to keep reading it because you want to know what happens next. The picture that comes to my mind when I read is very clear. Not by the way the author describes the characters, but by the way the he makes their personality.

It goes to an average boring normal-life book to an adventure with in the first two chapters. Roy, who is the main character, starts acting very suspicious when he goes missing, brings home a new friend and says he is going to do a science experiment and he needs something from his house that shouldn't be done with science. Then his parents get a call from the hospital saying he was bit by a dog, even though it was someone else.

The momentum of this book does not go up and down, it stays at a steady pace and then goes up and goes to a steady pace again. I like the kind of books that do this because once I get to a low point in the book, I just want to stop reading it and pick out a different book. What I like that the author did was he made the setting of the book in his home state, which some authors would not do.

I would recommend this book to all middle school kids or young high school students because the language of this book is specifically designed for younger teenagers.