Breathing Underwater By Alex Flinn | Teen Ink

Breathing Underwater By Alex Flinn

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

Alex Flinn does an amazing job writing this book. It starts off showing the true side of Nick. Nick is a sophomore in High School who has done wrong things in his life. One of the worst things is hitting his girlfriend, Catlin. She has broken up with him and is now in the process of getting a restraining order. He blames it all on his father. His father was abusive to him. The only one that knows this is the person he is about to loose.
Nick has to go to counseling classes each week as a result of the courts decision. He also has to keep a journal of everything he and Catlin have done since meeting each other for the first time.
Alex Flinn skips back and forth between Nick's reality and his past. He starts to learn why he lost Catlin and how he acted before by becoming friends with another kid in counseling. He ends up showing Nick everything that Nick could have become with the counseling classes.
This book didn't really leave me satisfied. The ending is fairly abrupt, and doesn't end the way you want it to. Although ending quickly, it is probably the best way for a book like this to end. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes reading about some teenager's life's and the problems that they can overcome.