Karma by Cathy Ostlere This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

The novel “Karma” is portrayed in the eloquent language of poetry and highlighted by the abounding customs of India. As an Indian born myself I can see the ethnicity and authenticity of the words in “Karma” simply spilling out of its pages. Set in a time of great peril, it follows the character Jiva who is half Sikh and half Hindu living through the assassination of Indira Gandhi. When all of India is picking sides she too has to face the sudden decision of which religion she is supposed to stand alongside, Sikh or Hindu.

This novel has the power to sweep people off their feet and convey true knowledge about a country that has been known for its non-violence. While cultures are clashing and people are dying, an epic love story with the perfect backdrop is also intertwined into the plot line.

However, the most unique characteristic of “Karma” is that it is told in verse. Not many YA verse novels come by, but I can tell that this one is by far the best I have read. The poetry compliments the anecdote masterfully. Overall, this novel is definitely one that readers should not overlook.