A Child Called ‘It’ By Dave Pelzer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dave Pelzer's first book in this series is phenomenal. What actually happened to him as a child is hard to imagine. This was a number one New York Times bestseller for months and is an inspirational story.

David was renamed “It” by his evil mother. His childhood begins as the life everyone hopes for. He enjoyed visits to the zoo, lake trips with family, and being cuddled by his mom while listening to a great book. David's life drastically changed when he became a first-grader. His mother and father developed drinking problems. It's very hard to read about all the sadistic “games” his mother dreamed up.

When you read some of what happens, you'll wonder how anyone could even think of ­doing such things to their own child. Pelzer is a strong man to write about his childhood when he was almost beaten to death. This book really makes you wonder how many other children suffer such abuse.

As his teachers and principal, neighbors, and even his father stand by and let the abuse happen, it makes you wonder what you would have done. This book is extremely well written. All of the gruesome details help you to visualize what he went through. There are more books in this series, and you'll want to read them all once you begin. This book is for mature readers only.

R.C.irca_6 said...
Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:14 am:
Must be quite a tragic story, and for it be true, that puts a lot of weight into the words Pelzer writes, doesn't it? I would understand how this could be quite a tear-jerking series

ReadWriteBreathe said...
Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:35 am:
I absolutely love the book. I cried the first time I read it. I couldn't imagine being in that situation.

Abfab said...
David Pelzer is a narcissistic liar. His accounts are fabricated, he's nothing more than a juvenile delinquent turned con man.

I.White replied...
Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:09 pm :
how do you know that?

ML2112 replied...
May 28, 2012 at 5:35 pm :
Maybe for proof you should ask him if you can see the scar tissue on his chest from where his mother stabbed him. It's incredibly rude to discount his story. It makes you wonder why victims are so afraid to reach out, because they're worried people like you won't believe them.

smitty b replied...
Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:08 am :
thank god someone sees him for what he is, proof he lies? uhm book was never nominated for a pulitzer, he was discharged from the air force for being nutter then a fruit cake, his other family members have admited he was a trouble maker as a kid. he is a con man. as an abused child, no way would I ever be as wishy washy as he is! sick he makes a buck off this! and no my therapist didn't like me throwing that piece of trash called book at her!

ImmortalRoseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 22 at 4:48 pm :
Thats a little harsh.

Cicichildress said...
Jan. 9, 2012 at 9:45 am:
When I first started this book I was in self-pity because I have 4 siblings and life is hard in todays economy. When I got into the book I relized how gratefull I should be that i had a family who loved me. I cried every time I opened this book and it is such an inspiring story.

Mrs.LOver said...
Dec. 26, 2011 at 10:47 am:
the first time i read this book i cried its a very tragic book but a great one at that to go through what this boy went through was heartbreaking but to finally see him end up in a better place was a great ending

madeofstardust said...
My first reaction to the book was before I read it, &i thought 'gosh wat a miserable life' but then after i read it i couldnt help but feel that he holds so much hatred for the woman, that he had to write3 or 4 books about the miseries she caused him. dnt u think hes a little bitter? i mean, ive had some horrible things been done to me, but i learnd that i had to forget the person...&wat they did.

callie15 replied...
Dec. 29, 2011 at 1:26 pm :
Well, have you been through such horrible things as he has? It's really hard to judge a person if you haven't been through the same struggles as they have. And maybe he didn't write the books out of anger. Maybe he wrote them for awareness .

joanne Rivera said...
Dec. 12, 2011 at 10:40 am:
than you should read it...

jordiebell555 said...
Nov. 20, 2011 at 11:22 am:

it is an AMAZING book!!! i cried a few times because of it.

jordiebell555 said...
Nov. 20, 2011 at 11:22 am:

jordiebell555 said...
Nov. 20, 2011 at 11:20 am:
i love this book and the rest of the series. it really touches you and shows you that other people have it worse then we do.

lit.rox This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 31, 2011 at 6:54 am:
wow!the book seems to be very interesting.like to read it.

Tornado M. replied...
Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:12 pm :
jinx

Cheeseburger said...
Oct. 14, 2011 at 10:53 am:
I've never read this book, but I want to.

Elyssa A. said...
Oct. 2, 2011 at 11:30 am:
I also read the book and it was so good but also so sad. I agree with the review too.

star said...

wow...i mean who every thought that a mother can do that to her own child for no reason at all.

I was shock when i read this and i root for him for diding so strong, brave and bring able to find happyness and not leting it control his life