A Child Called ‘It’ By Dave Pelzer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dave Pelzer's first book in this series is phenomenal. What actually happened to him as a child is hard to imagine. This was a number one New York Times bestseller for months and is an inspirational story.

David was renamed “It” by his evil mother. His childhood begins as the life everyone hopes for. He enjoyed visits to the zoo, lake trips with family, and being cuddled by his mom while listening to a great book. David's life drastically changed when he became a first-grader. His mother and father developed drinking problems. It's very hard to read about all the sadistic “games” his mother dreamed up.

When you read some of what happens, you'll wonder how anyone could even think of ­doing such things to their own child. Pelzer is a strong man to write about his childhood when he was almost beaten to death. This book really makes you wonder how many other children suffer such abuse.

As his teachers and principal, neighbors, and even his father stand by and let the abuse happen, it makes you wonder what you would have done. This book is extremely well written. All of the gruesome details help you to visualize what he went through. There are more books in this series, and you'll want to read them all once you begin. This book is for mature readers only.

audzz said...
what i dont understand is the fact you dont believe him ay... jst bcoz u have not suffered through the thingz he has does not mean you are to judge him.. and accuse him ov being a liar...yes u r entitled to ur opinion... bt have in mind there are people who look upto him.. y degrade him..and assume that he is a liar... i myself look upto him... being brave enough to write about the daunting and horrible past... being able to express his upmost darkest secrets... standing on his own... knowi... (more »)
Deni3 said...
Oct. 25, 2012 at 10:58 am
My youngest daughter brung it home from school and she said Mom u ought to read this book,it is sad,so i read it,i would not even image doin this to done of my kids,i do not have the heart to whip them when they need it,I loved the book,I read it in half day and cried,i tell my kids everyday i love them,Please People our Kids r our Lifes,protect them,Don't hurt them,no child should be treated like that,no matter if u do not want them,send them somewhere that they will be wanted..Dave sorry t... (more »)
KenKenForeverz said...
My best friend owned this book and recommended it to me. I took it home, didn't put it down for the whole day. I read the whole book in my room, crying. It was one of the best books ever.
sunshine said...
Sept. 5, 2012 at 10:56 am
why even say anything? im just kidding  
S. said...
Very well written, honest and truthful review! Really am thinking of checking this book out!
HGfan1 said...
Mar. 26, 2012 at 9:21 am
I have read this book about 3 times because I just needed to get a better understanding of what was really happening and how other people would react to what David was dealing with. I cried everytime at the same parts I've read it and it's just such a tragic story, it is amazing that he actually wrote this book knowing that a lot of people who go through this type of issue don't speak out and I think he has really inspired a lot of people.
tori26shipp replied...
the saddest part  is that to this day his siblings deny it happened
BlackClouds1 replied...
Ya, I agree! It's just horrible that his own family did this to him:(
sallydots replied...
this is such a sad story and i really hate the endings
liarslol said...
his teachers do not let it happen just saying i don't want to ruin the book for people who haven't read it but they don't let it happen
MonkeyChunk said...
I've read this book before... It honestly made me cry a few times. You'd never think a kid such as David could experience and survive things like that. Such a tradgic, yet inspirational story. <3 Awesome review.
R.C.irca_6 said...
Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:14 am
Must be quite a tragic story, and for it be true, that puts a lot of weight into the words Pelzer writes, doesn't it? I would understand how this could be quite a tear-jerking series
R.C.irca_6 said...
Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:14 am
ReadWriteBreathe said...
Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:35 am
I absolutely love the book. I cried the first time I read it. I couldn't imagine being in that situation.
Abfab said...
David Pelzer is a narcissistic liar. His accounts are fabricated, he's nothing more than a juvenile delinquent turned con man.
I.White replied...
how do you know that?
ML2112 replied...
Maybe for proof you should ask him if you can see the scar tissue on his chest from where his mother stabbed him. It's incredibly rude to discount his story. It makes you wonder why victims are so afraid to reach out, because they're worried people like you won't believe them.
smitty b replied...
Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:08 am
thank god someone sees him for what he is, proof he lies? uhm book was never nominated for a pulitzer, he was discharged from the air force for being nutter then a fruit cake, his other family members have admited he was a trouble maker as a kid. he is a con man. as an abused child, no way would I ever be as wishy washy as he is! sick he makes a buck off this! and no my therapist didn't like me throwing that piece of trash called book at her!
ImmortalRose replied...
Thats a little harsh.
Cicichildress said...
Jan. 9, 2012 at 9:45 am
When I first started this book I was in self-pity because I have 4 siblings and life is hard in todays economy. When I got into the book I relized how gratefull I should be that i had a family who loved me. I cried every time I opened this book and it is such an inspiring story.